The Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary third edition provides definitions for about 170,000 words, phrases and examples and is compiled to offer what learners need most in a dictionary. The Third Edition offers new, up-to-date vocabulary )e.g. speed-dating, whiteboard(, new ‘mini-collocation’ boxes, and new frequency information to highlight the most important words to learn. The new Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary gives you everything you need to learn English and pass exams!
Over 170,000 words, phrases and examples
– NEW! You will find newly added Illustrations and photos to illustrate the word definitions.
– NEW! Common grammar and style and usage labels included
– NEW! Examples included in the word definitions show you how to use words in the most natural and fluent way.
– All the important new words that have come into the language )e.g. dirty bomb, lairy, 9/11, clickable(
– Only words from a defining vocabulary used to help make definitions easy to understand
– Over 90,000 examples, mainly full sentences, show you how English is used in context and help you write natural English.
– 25,000 collocations show the way words work together in English
– Automatic recognition of inflected forms
A search tool
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
– A quick search of words while you type
– A ‘fuzzy filter’ when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
– A ‘keyword’ search for finding key words within compound words
– A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool
The Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to grow your vocabulary further:
– A ‘Favourites’ feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words from the extensive library, which includes all cross-curriculum words
– Your last visited words are all saved in your ‘History’, so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
– Discover more about language with the special language notes and ‘Word of the day’ feature
– Fun and engaging word games like ‘Hangman’, ‘Word scramble’ and ‘Anagrams’ give the opportunity to use newly learnt words